
The Hindu deity - Shiva - 1000 - 1100
Indonesia - Dagger Holder - 1800 - 1900
Japanese - The Buddhist deity - Achala Vidyaraja - 1100 - 1185 (This was one of my favorite pieces).

Japanese - The Esoteric Buddhist King of Passion, Ragaraja - 1600 - 1700

China - The Buddhist deity Simhavaktra Dakini - The Enlightened One
10 comments:
I am looking at the first photo. I thought that is a truly happy piece of art. I can sense the characters were having real fun, and the joy just shines through.... ~bangchik
You make me want to spend hours in a museum--just wondering around!
The Esoteric Buddhist King of Passion is a little scary looking. I'm with Betty though, I want to go spend some time in a museum now too
These are all so very fierce looking except the first one. Imagine bumping into one of them on a garden path! Scary. But very cool.
I love them all. Great shots! Hey...did you take the pictures that are in my coffee table book?
Thanks for the vicarious peak. Great stuff.
These different depictions of a bhuddist deity are fascinating. I have always thoguht of it as being very benign and different from these. I'm now keen to find out more.
Fantastic shots of these interesting statues!
when I toured Thailand in 1998, I took a lot of photos of these statues and deities. I thought Asian History in High School for 11 years and being able to see for myself the culture of the countries I thought made it easy to motivate my students to listen to my lesson and participate.
So cool that you share all these photos. It's like being there myself. I always admire how the statues were made, so detailed.
Post a Comment