Keftethes - Greek Meatballs Recipe

Greek Meatballs (Keftethes)

I love this recipe. It makes 4 servings. Being of Greek heritage on my Mom’s side of the family we would frequently have Greek dishes. This particular dish is a Greek meatball. I have so many fond memories of picnics down in Santa Cruz and days at the beach where my Mom would prepare Keftethes and potato salad and we’d have our feast right out by the water enjoying the beautiful day. I thought about this today because it is a gorgeous day in San Francisco and memories flooded my mind. So I thought I’d share this will all of you.


A. Ingredients

a. 4 slices bread, white or wheat or whole grain - or Bread crumbs - they’re easier.
If you use bread, trim the crusts.
b. 1 pound ground beef
c. 1 egg
d. 1 medium onion chopped fine
e. 1 tbs. crushed mint salt and pepper to tasted flour
f. 2 tbs butter
g. 2 tbs olive oil.

B. Cooking methods

a. Place in mixing bowl and cover with small amounts of water. For bread crumbs you
can omit this step.
b. Add meat, egg, onion, mint, salt and pepper.
c. Shape into two inch patties.
d. Coat the patties well with the flour.
e. Fry the patties in the mixture of oil and butter.
f. Brown on each side then drain. You can make these ahead of time and freeze them then
when you are ready to serve defrost and reheat them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

These are absolutely fantastic with potato salad or coleslaw. They’re also great cold and on picnics. You can also use these with a tomato sauce and serve meatballs and spaghetti. A little twist on the traditional. Enjoy!

Comments

Living in Cyprus, this is a favourite in our house!
Rick (Ratty) said…
I need to try this. I've been buying prepackaged meatballs. I use them for about a million things. These would probably taste better than the ones I get.
Mike Golch said…
thanks for posting this one.
RNSANE said…
Listen, Jo, I don't want to cook this...I want you to do it for me, and invite me over. I'll bring the wine!
Joanne Olivieri said…
Glynis, mine too. I'm going to have to get out your way one of these days. I'd love to see that part of the world.

Ratty, These are very good and very unique.

Mike, You are welcome.

Carmen, how about I make them along with some potato salad and we go have a picnic?
RNSANE said…
Jo, let me know when we can do the potato salad, keftethes picnic!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Hollywood and Highland Center

Thursday Two Questions Meme