Big Bugs

Today marked the opening of the Big Bugs Outside the Box exhibition at the San Francisco zoo.  These life like sculptures of bugs and insects are simply amazing to see.  I am not a bug person so I didn't know if I would like seeing these so huge and up close but I loved it.  To see these creatures in detail gave me a new appreciation for the insect life.  

The exhibition also includes detailed information about each species along with history and interesting facts.  If you are in the San Francisco area, this is a must see exhibition.

Formosan Long - Armed Male Scarab Beetle
These beetles use their long arm appendages to fight for female beetles and tree branches.  They are losing their habitat in the wild and are currently fighting for survival.

Female Watanabe's Lanternfly
These critters were called lanternflies because it was thought that the golden appendage on their heads would light up in the dark.  However, they do not light up so there is really no use for the lanternfly - other than she is kind of cute :)

Female Leaf Grasshopper
This grasshopper is protected by it's color, leaf like shape and wings.  It remains still during the day to avoid predators and becomes active at night.

Hercules Beetle
Named after the Greek God Hercules, these beetle use their horns to fight over females.  They are claw like and grab their opponents, lift them in the air and slam them on the ground resulting in death.



Dragonfly


Camera Critters

Click the above widget for more Camera Critters fun.

Comments

TexWisGirl said…
looks like a very cool exhibit!
Anonymous said…
Magnificent sculptures and fantastic photography ~
carol ^_^
Unknown said…
Looks like a very interesting exhibition!
Karen said…
Wow, excellent sculptures!
rainfield61 said…
They are giants. They lost power.
Pat said…
What a fantastic exhibit to see. You did a great job photographing those sculptures.
VioletSky said…
I'm also not a bug person, but this looks like an excellent sculptural exhibit (and a learning experience without too much squeamishness!)
Anonymous said…
I don't usually like bugs so I didn't think I would like these photos but I found them to be amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us.
Cheylinn
Wow- I've got a grandson who would LOVE this exhibit!
Misty DawnS said…
That is awesome!!! I'd love to see that exhibit.
Sallie said…
Looks like a great exhibit! I kinda like creepy crawlies ...as long as they're not in my house.

Popular posts from this blog

Hollywood and Highland Center

Thursday Two Questions Meme