Tribute to Sony Holland



@Kuumbwa Jazz Santa Cruz

My story of meeting Sony Holland at Ghirardelli Square.

It was a warm morning in February 2003. I was working at Ghirardelli Square in San Francisco. The plaza was empty and I was sitting in the store reading a book. All of a sudden I hear this jazzy tune playing on the Fountain Plaza. I did not recognize the tune but I loved the melody. A few seconds later I was stunned by what I can only describe as the voice of an angel. The pure, smooth vocals were so engaging that I had to get out there and see who this was filling the square with such beautiful music. I went out, stood by the door and saw this elegantly dressed beautiful blonde in a long black gown and heels singing her heart out in this quiet bare plaza. I was completely mesmerized by her voice and stood there for her entire set without even moving. When I heard "This City Is Mine" which was written and composed by Jerry Holland I fell in love with the song. 

I waited until her set was done and went out and bought two CD's. I remember telling her that it was so nice to actually have someone with such wonderful talent to be out there performing at the square. What really made an impression on me was after her performance that day this talented singer came into the store to thank me for buying her CD's. We chatted a bit and I thought to myself how sweet to take the time out to thank me. Then again that is Sony. From then on when she would play at the square 


@pier 39

I would sit outside and watch her during my breaks and time off. One day in particular she was in the middle of a song when tourists surrounded her table wanting information on her CD. She only had one at the time. I thought to myself I better go see if I can help them and walked up to the table and sold a few CD's. After, I retreated back to the bench to watch the rest of her performance when she motioned to me to go back to her CD table and simply said "I want you here." The rest is history.
 
I went on to work for her selling her CD's in the early days of busking on the streets of Fisherman's Wharf and at various gigs around the bay area. I have to say that those early days at the Pier and Ghirardelli Square hold special memories. We would hang out during the break and just relax and enjoy. . Sony's music always attracted so many tourists and locals alike. In fact Neil Sedaka was at the square that day and bought her CD.  Those days though gone, hold a special place in my heart.

Before I had met Sony and Jerry, I never really listened to jazz. For me it was just a mish mash of notes strewn all over the place. Once I started listening to their songs I fell in love with jazz. With Sony's vocals perfectly blending with Jerry's songs it was a no brainer. You just cannot get any better than that.

Though I am no longer able to
See her live I have beautiful memories that I  hold dear in my heart of hundreds of concerts and gigs over the last almost two decades in addition to a trip of a lifetime when I traveled to Hong Kong while she held a musical residency there at the InterContinental Hotel in Kowloon.

We have remained dear friends and I love her like a Sister. Thank you sweets, for being you❤️


@Que Syrah SF



@The Ritz SF


A poem I wrote for her in the early days

Sony Holland Performs

With a fire in her eyes
her soul speaks sensuous octaves. Blazing rhythms scorch sassy stanzas. Scintillating embers
ignite a childlike innocence.

Passions ablaze
she speaks harmonies
of deliberate tones;
A synchronized sonata.
 
Jazzy jubilation
and metered mezzo collide
in a soulful syncopation
of lyrical liaisons. She vocalizes
in sweet serenades
of magical melodies melded in a chorus of chromatic cantatas. 
To mesmerize
with a myriad of mosaic monotones and delicious deliverance Is her forte’.
 
Sweet inspirations burn slowly, rhythmically, methodically…
Each note sizzling, enchanting, enticing… A musical seductress

Her charm
a flirtatious intoxicant
Igniting each beat, each rhythm, each chord. She performs her heart’s desire
In a fusion of cool jazz.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hollywood and Highland Center