Valentine's Day Poetry



There are so many beautiful poems and songs written in celebration of Valentine’s Day. The 19th Century poets in my opinion had a monopoly on love poetry. However one of my favorite love poems is The Passionate Shepherd to His Love by Christopher Marlowe. It is simple, descriptive, an excellent style and you could basically just feel the deep sentiment in the poet’s heart while reading the lines. It’s the type of poem where the imagination comes to light and you feel as if you are in that setting. Sometimes simplicity is the essence of beauty and I think this poem proves that point.

Have a Happy Valentine’s Day!

The Passionate Shepherd to His Love
Christopher Marlowe


Come live with me and be my love,
And we will all the pleasures prove
That valleys, groves, hills, and fields,
Woods or steepy mountain yields.

And we will sit upon the rocks,
Seeing the shepherds feed their flocks,
By shallow rivers to whose falls
Melodious birds sing madrigals.

And I will make thee beds of roses
And a thousand fragrant posies,
A cap of flowers, and a kirtle
Embroidered all with leaves of myrtle;

A gown made of the finest wool
Which from our pretty lambs we pull;
Fair lined slippers for the cold,
With buckles of the purest gold;

A belt of straw and ivy buds,
With coral clasps and amber studs:
And if these pleasures may thee move,
Come live with me and be my love.

The shepherds’ swains shall dance and sing
For thy delight each May morning:
If these delights thy mind may move,
Then live with me and be my love.

Comments

Margie said…
That's beautiful! We wish you a very Happy Valentine's Day and may you be surrounded by love.
Okay, you can borrow 1 Margiedale.
Joanne Olivieri said…
Margie and to you as well. Thank you, can I have him for the whole week?
Anonymous said…
I don't pretend to know an awful lot about poetry but I know what I like, and boy do I like that. Thanks for sharing it.
Ann said…
That's a lovely poem. Happy Valentines Day
Anonymous said…
I can see why you love it so much. It's a beautiful poem. Happy V Day Jo :)
Autumn Belle said…
This is a beautiful poem. I going to link this post to mine, hope you don't mind. Happy Valentine's Day!
Rick (Ratty) said…
You're right, it is a very beautiful poem. Happy Valentine's Day.
betchai said…
thanks for sharing this beautiful poem Jo, hope you are having a wonderful Valentine's day
Beautiful valentine's day poem.... I love that line "Then live with me and be my love." I am thinking what would I say to the plants in the garden. Hmmmm.... then live with me and give me fruits! ~bangchik
Joanne Olivieri said…
John, thank you and you have great taste :)

Ann, I hope you and Duke had a wonderful V-Day as well.

Happy V-Day to you as well Dawn. Hope it was special.

Autumn, thanks and that's great, link away :) Hope you had a wonderful V-day.

Ratty, Happy V-Day to you as well.

betchai, I had a great V-Day and hope you did too :)

Bangchik, LOL!!! That's perfect for you - Love it!
Joanne Olivieri said…
S B, ah, thank you so much.

Zuz, And to you, thanks for the wonderful words.

Popular posts from this blog

Hollywood and Highland Center

Thursday Two Questions Meme